Sunday, August 21, 2005

Grampa-sitting!

I'm at Fairwood this week, until next Wednesday staying with my Grandfather (on my Dad's side) while Daddy and Mom are exploring the southern regions of our fair nation. Things have been going well so far. He has been incredibley grateful at the end of each meal for the work I have put into preparing them. He's easy to cook for because he's happy with whatever you put in front of him, which is good for me!

He has a huge collection of videos and it has become our habit for him to bring one out from his sitting room for us to watch together after dinner. So far, we've watched old Touched By An Angel episodes and last night we watched an old Cary Grant movie called Father Goose.

One evening we were sitting at the table in Mom and Dad's kitchen quietly eating dinner when I looked out the window and spotted Megan on the roof of the main house! She apparently climbed up to fetch a frisbee that has been there for months! Grandpa and I scurried to the window peering out eagerly to make sure that she came back down safely. She did, no worries, as nimbly as can be. It's been two days and G-pa is still talking about it. He even ventured out to claim the frisbee as a souveneir! I need to figure out a good way of suggesting that he return it!

After church today, I took him with me to visit my Grandma (on my mom's side). I was a little nervous about the visit, but they hit it off, leaning toward each other and bellowing about their infirmities as old people and coming to the conclusion together that it's best to Count Your Blessings no matter what stage of life you are in. Growing old is not for sissies.

5 comments:

Booker said...

Life is not for sissies!

Now how true is that!?!

Kristi said...

Oh, good, I'm glad somebody got that frisbee! It was bugging me when I was there.
That must have been an amusing scene between Grandpa and Grandma! I hope the rest of your time "grandpa sitting" is enjoyable and restful (as possible under the circumstances)!

Gimli said...

Excellent!

I'm glad that things are going so well, but I wish you were home. While you are off Grandpa sitting, and fixing exquisite meals, I'm left all alone and fending for myself...

Somehow it just doesn't seem right.

Booker said...

Poor Nate. Ha! maybe if you blogged more, some of us might be more sympathetic :) Heh, heh, heh...

melrandall said...

We MISS you, Penny! At least E.M.H.E. was a rerun last night...

Oh, and just to keep Nate honest, he hasn't been TOTALLY fending for himself. He was invited upstairs for a real meal last night. Don't worry-- we'll keep him from going off the deep end.